Japanese Style Rooms

Things that don't fit in other categories, news articles, general things related to Japan Travel.
(eg. Electricity, Wi-Fi, Emergencies, Customs, Events & Festivals, ...)
Forum rules
This forum is for asking or posting things that don't fit in other categories, news articles, general things related to Japan Travel.
(eg. Electricity, Wi-Fi, Emergencies, Customs, Events & Festivals, ...).

Full Forum Rules here: http://www.japantraveller.org/forum/vie ... p?f=8&t=32
Ittachi_Kawasaki

Japanese Style Rooms

Post by Ittachi_Kawasaki »

If you are wondering why Japanese house always looks very simple but luxury and fancy, let's find it here, All About Japanese Style Rooms (https://questionjapan.com/blog/location ... apartment/).

Japanese style rooms, or tatami rooms are traditional rooms in Japan. Their style dates back to the Muromachi Period when they were originally used as study rooms for the nobility before becoming more popular in Japanese homes.

1. Common Elements
Tatami

Tatami mats are thick woven straw mats that are soft and comfortable to walk on. You can wear socks on the tatami flooring, but other footwear including slippers should be removed. The tatami were originally a luxurous thing that only the wealthy could afford. However, the tatami flooring has become more common and you can see it in almost all traditional Japanese houses nowadays.

Sliding Doors (fusuma)

Sliding doors, or fusuma are made up of wooden frames covered in thick and opaque paper. They are often used as large removable walls in Japanese houses to divide rooms. In temples and palaces, you can see elaboratedly painted fusuma by famous painters. However, in regular homes and ryokan, the sliding doors tend to be simply decorated.

Built-in Desk (tsukeshoin)

On one side of the room below a window are typically tsukeshoin or study desks. Above the desks are usually the shoji. Therefore, the use of shoji can help to alter the amount of light filtering in.
Transom (ranma)

In every traditional Japanese style room, you’ll typically find a wooden transom above fusuma. The ranma is usually designed and carved intricately and thanks to it, light and air can easily move between rooms.
Alcove (tokonoma)

Decorated with a hanging roll, a vase or flower arrangement, Tokonoma is traditionally the place where the most important guest sits. One interesting thing here is the changing of the decorations, which reflect each season.

2. Common Furniture
Low Tables

As sitting on the floor is common practice in Japan, low tables are really popular here. When the weather is cold, the Japanese will use heatable low tables (kotatsu). They will use a blanket to cover the tables and heat underneath.
Partitions (byobu/tsuitate)

Byobu are portable folding partitions that have a zigzag shape so that they can stand without extra support. In addition to byobu, tsuitate is also a type of free-standing partition. Both of the partitions are available in various sizes to divide a room or enhance privacy. Their designs are also diversed from simple to highly priced ones that adorn famous paitings.
Cushions (zabuton)

In harmony with the low tables, large cushions are used for sitting on the tatami floor. Sometimes, the cushions are placed onto low chairs to support the back. Note that it is impolite to step on cushions that are not yours.
Futon

In Japanese style rooms, futon (or traditional Japanese mattresses) are indispensible. During the day, they are kept folded and in the evening after dinner they are set out and laid directly on the tatami flooring. Tourists going to Japan can have chances to sleep on futons at accommodations such as ryokan and minshuku.

FrankJScott

Huge fan of this this article :)

Post by FrankJScott »

Growing fan of this page :) Btw, if you're interested in major car tips forum, I very much recommend this how to sell my car forum along with this advice to sell my car profile and this look to car buyers profile. Also, don't forget this best way to sell my car, not to mention this tips to buy my car forum alongside this look to buy my car website. There's also this advice to buy my car page and don't forget this see to sell my car, as well as best way to car buyers forum and I shouldn't leave out this see to sell my car website is a good one too.

FrankJScott

Loved reading through this forum :)

Post by FrankJScott »

Loving the insights of this page :) Btw, if you're interested in top car tips forum, I very much recommend this see to sell my car forum along with this look to car buyers site and this look to car buyers page. Also, don't forget this best way to buy my car, not to mention this see to sell my car website alongside this look to car buyers website. There's also this look to car buyers forum and don't forget this see to car buyers, as well as how to buy my car forum and I shouldn't leave out this see to car buyers profile is a good one too.

wabaki

Re: Japanese Style Rooms

Post by wabaki »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт